Annual Meeting: July 30
This year’s annual Co-op Board Meeting will take place via Zoom on July 30 at 7 PM. Please see your e-mail or the mailed notification to get the Zoom log on information.
This year’s annual Co-op Board Meeting will take place via Zoom on July 30 at 7 PM. Please see your e-mail or the mailed notification to get the Zoom log on information.
From The Village Sun:
On Monday, coinciding with phase one of the city’s reopening, Mayor de Blasio, in a bold show of support for mass transit, declared that the new 14th St. busway is now permanent.
“The 14th St. busway, this has been a success by every measure,” de Blasio said. “I said, we’re going to do it, we’re going to see if it works, we’re going to see, do people ride the bus more? Does the bus go faster? Does it have any negative impact on the surrounding streets? And the jury is back. The answer is, it is a clear success. We are making the 14th St. busway permanent.”
Launched in early October, the 14th St. busway was initially pitched as an 18-month pilot project. The stated plan was that, after the year and a half, the project would be assessed and then a decision made on whether to continue it. Now, however, after only eight months — with more than two of those months falling during the low-traffic COVID-19 lockdown — the busway has been decreed a permanent fixture on 14th St.
The first-of-its-kind program bans cars from 14th St. between Third and Ninth Aves. between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. seven days a week. Only buses and trucks are allowed as through traffic during those hours. Cars and taxis can enter the crosstown boulevard, but must then take their first right-hand turn off of it.
The mayor also announced Monday that the city is now moving forward with creating five more busways around town.
“I don’t think a busway like 14th St. was successfully achieved previously in city history,” de Blasio said. “The fact that today we’re saying 14th St. is now permanent [as a busway], five more coming in; it is the beginning of something really positive, obviously, between the busways, the Select Bus Service, all of these approaches have been working. And that opens the door to a very positive future for New York City. And this is a great time to do it because we got to give people confidence to come back to mass transit.”
Streetsblog reported that the new busways will include Fifth Ave. between 57th and 34th Sts.; E. 181st St. from Amsterdam Ave. to Broadway; Main St. between Sanford St. and Northern Boulevard, in Flushing, Queens; Jamaica Ave. from Sutphin Boulevard to 168th St., in Jamaica, Queens; and Jay St. between Fulton and Tillary Sts., in Downtown Brooklyn.
Along with the new busways, dedicated bus lanes will be added on E. 14th St. between First Ave. and Avenue C, as well as three other locations, in the Bronx, Queens and Staten Island. The E. 14th St. dedicated bus lanes will be added this month, the mayor said.
Predictably, transit-advocacy groups were elated at the news that the 14th St. busway is not going anywhere.
“The 14th St. Busway has been a resounding success,” said Danny Harris, executive director of Transportation Alternatives. “We are pleased to see it made permanent, and that more busways will soon be coming online. New Yorkers deserve a bus commute without being stuck in endless car traffic. Our streets must be a tool toward the city’s recovery, and we look forward to working with the Department of Transportation to bring more bus-only corridors across the five boroughs.”
“As almost everybody knows, the busway is a historically great success,” said Danny Pearlstein, communications director for the Riders Alliance. “Riders are thrilled to see it made permanent and inspire imitations citywide.”
Permits have been filed for an 11-story mixed-use building at 31 East 17th Street in Union Square, Manhattan. Located between Broadway and Park Avenue South, the through lot is steps from the 14th Street-Union Square subway hub, serviced by the 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R, and W trains. Ken Rosenblum under the Four Roses LLC is listed as the owner behind the applications.
The proposed 168-foot-tall development will yield 39,669 square feet, with 26,023 square feet designated for commercial space and 12,240 square feet for community facility space. The concrete-based structure will also have a cellar.
David Kubik of BKSK Architects is listed as the architect of record. The architectural firm is also responsible for the glass dome addition atop the neighboring 44 Union Square.
As per the Governor’s Executive Order issued April 15, everyone is required to wear face covering in the form of a mask, scarf, or other reliable protection of the nose and mouth while in public. Also, every building occupant is to wear face covering while you are within any common area of the building including hallways, stairwells, elevator, lobby, laundry room, etc.
Most shareholders/owners are signed up for online payment of maintenance/common charges. We strongly encourage those who are not already signed up to please contact your AKAM Management Executive for additional information.
Below are a few other reminders and best practices (as applicable to your building):
Please see the following COVID-19 related links you may find helpful:
CDC.gov – COVID-19 Updates and Best Practices / NYC.Gov – COVID-19 Updates and Best Practices
As the New York Pause period now extends through May 15, 2020, we have listed various types of stay-at-home things to do which may interest you:
Please join us in continuing to thank all building staff members for their continued hard-work and dedication. We would also like to thank all building volunteers, including members of the Board, for their valuable time and input.
Truth be told, the pandemic will likely wipe hundreds or even thousands of NYC restaurants off the map, but in the meantime, a new one has just arrived at 24 East 12th St. Meet Fields Good Chicken.
Gotham Bar & Grill, the longest-running high-end dining establishment in the neighborhood, is done.
According to Eater.com…
After 36 years — and one major, recent chef change — fine dining trailblazer Gotham Bar & Grill is closing. Saturday, March 14 will be its last night of service, according to an email sent to customers.
Restaurants across the city are closing temporarily as new measures to curb the coronavirus outbreak have led to declines in sales, but Gotham will not be reopening.
The closure follows a brief tenure from its new chef Victoria Blamey, who started leading the kitchen only last year — and was a significant change for the longtime regulars of the storied American fine dining restaurant. The previous chef, Alfred Portale, ran the kitchen for more than three decades and through its many accolades, including Michelin stars and James Beard Awards. He left to open his first solo restaurant, Portale, in Chelsea.
Blamey did not come into an easy situation. Much of the staff and the clientele were intensely loyal to Portale, who created dishes that became icons, like a riff on tuna tartare. He’d also been there for most of the restaurant’s tenure. Gotham opened in Greenwich Village in 1984, and he took over the large, white tablecloth establishment a year later.
Moreover, Gotham is a fine dining legend; its menu shaped what American fine dining looks like in New York. The pressure was on for Blamey, who was expected to bring a younger crowd to the restaurant. And under her, Gotham retained its three stars in the New York Times, with Pete Wells delighting in her additions to the menu.
Simo Pizza is scheduled to arrive on University Place in the former home of Argo Tea (and before that, good ol’ Dean and DeLuca) sometime in the fall. They already have a branch in the Meatpacking District, and the pizza looks good…and affordable.
The retail retreat continues, with the departure of Bolton’s from the corner of Union Square and University. This is a high-traffic area. It’ll be interesting to see what comes next.